Cancer is a daunting disease and has many side effects. It is important for a cancer patient to follow a regular skin care regimen as the treatment affects the skin adversely.
Though skincare is essential for each and every individual but cancer patients need to give more attention due to the side effects associated with radiation, drugs, and chemotherapy.
The treatment of cancer may have potential benefits in treating cancer but it causes a change in the skin colour, texture, and health of the skin.
Hence, it is important to choose appropriate products to achieve better results. Proper skincare management will aid in reducing skin discomfort associated with cancer treatment.
Skin toxicity puts a negative effect on a patient’s physical, emotional, and social well-being. A proper skincare regimen must be followed to reduce the negative impact of cancer treatment.
A cancer patient needs to follow proper skincare management to avert the skin-related side effects of cancer treatment. During the treatment, the skin gets rough, dry, red, and itchy.
The patient may also experience sores, rashes, peeling, and cracks. Their skin gets very sensitive and that increases the risk of sunburn.
Skin irritation, facial flushing, hair changes are also common skin problems faced by a cancer patient. Some patients also face issues like changes in nails etc.
To prevent the outcome of major skin problems, an expert opinion must be taken to avert skin issues. Few are the steps a patient can include in their daily skincare regime such as:
- Mild soap to be used for cleansing of the skin
- Moisturize the skin with thick emollients
Cancer patients undergoing treatment can take some initiative to relieve their skin issues. There are few dedicated products meant for cancer patients that are safer to be used.
Skincare to protect the skin
It is better to approach a physician or a skin expert to gather information on the products meant specifically for a cancer patient.
The undermentioned daily regimen may be followed to avoid skin issues and must be taken only after consulting an expert.
- Protect the skin with sunscreen to avoid sunburn. Consider using a hat or umbrella to protect yourself from direct sunlight.
- Use gentle unscented products for cleansing of the skin.
- Avoid hot water shower and instead, use lukewarm water or normal temperature water.
- After taking shower a moisturizing lotion or skin oil may be applied while the skin is still damp.
- Try sleeping at night on the back using a pillow for support to avoid puffiness of the eyes and the face.
- Try to pat the skin dry and avoid rubbing the skin.
- Avoid shaving if the skin is irritated or sore and an electric razor may be a better option.
- It is better to wear skin-friendly clothes that are loose and don’t rub against the skin and allow the passage of air.
- Stay away from certain types of deodorants or antiperspirants that may be harsh on the skin.
A cancer patient may have skin infections or allergic reactions that may be serious and may even be fatal. The doctor must be consulted to take proper care of the condition and to avoid any adverse effects.
Light makeup for cancer patients
It is important that a cancer patient undergoing treatment feels confident about their looks to avoid the stress related to it.
They may use light makeup products only after consulting the doctor. If the doctor feels okay with it then only the following steps may be followed.
- To even out the texture a light makeup may be used.
- A colour correcting cream may help to hide the red or dark areas of the face.
- A tinted lip balm gives colour to the lips and moisturizes them.
- A soft eyebrow pencil or soft eyeliner may highlight their eyes as often cancer patients lose their eyebrows and eyelashes during treatment.
It is important that the products they use are meant specifically for cancer patients and if the doctor prohibits the use of any makeup then it must be avoided. Priority must be given to health other than any other thing.
Yoga helps as an alternative therapy
The patient can perform light yoga postures to increase blood circulation and to have sound sleep. The same can be performed only after taking permission from the doctor.
A qualified yoga trainer can guide the patient appropriately. Yoga gives calmness to the mind, stimulates the nervous system, improves breathing, and provides flexibility.
Yoga can heal from the inside when the patient is still undergoing treatment. Yoga may not cure the ailments but it aids the cancer patient to achieve a better mood and helps to connect spiritually.
It calms the patient internally which affects their physical and emotional well-being.
Cancer is a debilitating disease and to fight the side effects of cancer treatment the patient needs to have a lot of patience and also mental and emotional strength.
It is important for cancer patients to feel good about themselves to achieve the utmost result of their cancer treatment.
A cancer patient faces many skin issues during cancer treatment and certain products are recommended to a cancer patient for achieving a better result.
Appropriate skin care management will help them to achieve better skin along with rejuvenating the person enough to fight confidently with the disease.